/ / The Annunciation Cathedral

The Annunciation Cathedral

One of the architectural attractions of Sukhumi is the Annunciation Cathedral. This is a classic cruciform structure, surmounted by domes, executed in neo-Byzantine architectural style. The temple was built on the funds of the Orthodox Greek community in the period from 1909 to 1915.

Originally the temple was consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas, to the beginning of the great Patriotic war was known popularly as the Greek St. Nicholas Church. After the war, the temple received a new, higher status of a Cathedral, and consecrated in honour of the Annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary, hence its abbreviated popular name of the Annunciation. But St. Nicholas was not forgotten in this temple and his name revered in novopostroine (1980) chapel.

In connection with the extension of the parish in the 80-ies of the last century under the leadership of the Metropolitan of David was the reconstruction and capital repairs of the building of the temple. Completed several side buildings, landscaped the grounds, built and consecrated a chapel in honor of St. Nicholas. With the beginning of the new century to commemorate the centenary of the temple, in 2010, has undergone extensive repair and restoration work. One of the main gifts to believers for the anniversary was gilded Central dome of the Cathedral, made of the Chelyabinsk masters. Its bright reflections can rejoice not only parishioners, but also the sailors on the RAID of the Sukhumi Bay.

Today the Annunciation Cathedral is the main Cathedral of Pitsunda and Sukhum-Abkhaz eparchy of the Georgian Orthodox Church. The service in the Cathedral is conducted in four languages: old Church Slavonic, Abkhaz, Greek, and Georgian.