/ / Australian war memorial

Australian war memorial

The Australian war memorial is the main Australian memorial dedicated to the memory of soldiers killed during the wars. Located in Canberra.

The idea of a monument to the Australian soldiers came up to Charles and Bina, Australian historian of the First World war when he investigated the scene of military battles in France in 1916. In may 1917 was collected by the first collection of items related to military history of Australia, which was first exhibited in Melbourne. The construction of a permanent building for the Memorial was completed in 1941, after the outbreak of the Second World war. The official opening took place on November 11 - the Day of remembrance of the victims. Today the memorial is one of the most significant monuments of its kind in the world. It is close to the Parliament building, with a balcony which offers a panoramic view of the monument.

The memorial consists of three parts: Mausoleum, Hall of Memory which houses the tomb of the unknown Australian soldier, Museum and research center. Memorial hall built in the shape of an octagon, four of which - the North-West, North-East, South-West and South-East is a mosaic with image of a Soldier, airmen, Sailor and the Female soldier. Interestingly, mosaic and stained-glass Windows created a one-armed Australian artist Napier Waller, who lost his arm during the First World war. In front of the Hall of Memory is a narrow courtyard and a small pond in the center of which the eternal flame. Above the courtyard there is a long covered gallery with the Board of Fame - bronze plates on which are carved the names of 102 thousand dead Australian soldiers. Every day when the memorial is closed in the evening, held a small ceremony, during which the audience can hear a short history of its creation and to hear a military signal verification before the evening dawn.

Many believe part of the memorial complex and the Area of the Armed forces of Australia and New Zealand (ANZAC Parade), but it is not. The square is located at the Northern shore of lake Burley Griffin and leads to the base of the Memorial. Along each side of the square is a series of sculptures dedicated to various military campaigns, such as the Vietnam war, or the memory of the sisters of mercy. Near the lake are of monumental sculpture in the form of two giant handles of the basket donated by New Zealand. The idea for creating sculpture was saying the new Zealand aboriginals, the Maori, which says traditional cooperation and proximity of the two countries of the Commonwealth.