/ / The Abbey Trappist Engelstsel

The Abbey Trappist Engelstsel

Engelstsel Abbey is the only Trappist monastery in Austria. It was a former Cistercian monastery, situated in Upper Austria. The monastery was founded in 1293 by Bishop Bernhard as a Cistercian monastery. In 1295, the monastery was home to monks from Wilhering. During the reformation there was an economic and spiritual decline of the monastery for a time passed into private ownership. In 1618 the Abbey of Wilhering intervened in the Affairs in deciding to provide financial support in the restoration of the Abbey. On Easter Sunday 1699 in the Abbey Engelstsel a fire occurred that resulted in new financial difficulties. In 1746 Leopold Reichl, the last and greatest of the abbots Engelstsel began to restore the Abbey, using, including and using their own money.

In 1786 the Abbey was dissolved by Emperor Joseph II and the building was used for social events. The building was again used as the Trappist monastery in 1925 by refugee. It was the German monks expelled after world war of Olenberg (Abbey in Alsace), who found temporary refuge in the Abbey Julian Schuster, but felt the need for a permanent place of residence. In 1931 Engelstsel was elevated to the rank of Abbey, the Abbot was appointed Gregory Eisvogel.

In early December 1939, the monastery was confiscated by the Gestapo, and the community, numbering 73 people, were evicted from the Abbey. Four monks were sent to concentration camps, while others were imprisoned or were drafted into the army. At the end of the Second world war to the Abbey returned only a third of the community. However, they were joined by refugees from the Bosnian Trappist monastery, with their Abbot.

Since 1995 Abbot of the Abbey Engelstsel appointed Marian Haseder. Currently the Abbey is home to 7 monks.