/ / Austrian Jewish Museum

Austrian Jewish Museum

The Jewish Museum is located in the house Wertheimer, a historic building named after the Hungarian Rabbi Samson Wertheimer (1658-1724). The decision to establish the Jewish Museum in Eisenstadt was taken in 1969 on the forum of the Institute of Jewish studies at the University of Vienna. The Museum was opened three years later, in 1972.

The Jewish Museum is located in an area of nearly 1000 square meters and is divided into several exhibition halls.

During a visit to the Museum you can see the private synagogue, located on the first floor of the building. This small synagogue is one of the few that has not suffered during Kristallnacht (or "Night of broken glass") in November 1938. It was the first such large-scale attack of the Nazis on the Jews. That night held a mass wave of Jewish pogroms on the territory of the Third Reich, destroyed 267 synagogues, killed 91 Jews, injured hundreds, and maimed, thousands were subjected to humiliation and insults, more than 30 thousand were sent to concentration camps.

Also, the Museum offers to get acquainted with its permanent exhibition, providing comprehensive coverage of Jewish life and about the history of Jews in Burgenland. At the end of the exhibition is the impressive memorial hall, established in memory of the famous seven Jewish communities of Burgenland.

Also, the Museum has a library, which contains over 10,000 volumes. Some of the books are in the permanent exhibition of the Museum, mainly books of the 18th century. In addition, the library has a large collection of facsimile editions of famous books. Special attention deserves the valuable collection of books in Yiddish.

The Museum is located in the heart Unterstadt (Lower Town), where in 1670 he settled about 3,000 Jews were expelled from Vienna. Near the Museum are two old Jewish cemetery.