/ / The Austrian film Museum

The Austrian film Museum

The Austrian film Museum is located in Vienna, near the Albertina. As its core mission, the Museum considers the preservation and study of important collections of film, which were collected by the Museum since the day of its Foundation.

The film Museum in Vienna was established as a nonprofit organization in 1964, and within a short span of time he established himself as a leading international centre of cinema in Austria. Only a year later, in 1965, the international Federation of film archives (FIAF) took the film Museum as a new member.

The cinema Museum very soon made a name for itself thanks to its interesting programs. Retrospective 1960-ies and 70-ies made the Museum popular among the German-speaking countries. The program was created with a focus on such areas as avant-garde film, a Comedy of the 1920-ies and 30-ies of the revolutionary Soviet films, classic American cinema, propaganda films, Japanese cinema. Since 1965, all of the films began to be shown in the private cinema of the Museum. Since November 2002, the equipment of the Museum was completely renovated, enlarged screens and a sound system that now allows you to play movies of all formats in the history of cinema, and supports modern sound and digital video systems.

From 1 January 2005, the famous Director Martin Scorsese has agreed to be honorary President of the Museum. In addition to his work as a legendary artist, Martin Scorsese is a staunch supporter of the preservation of films for nearly three decades.

Currently the collection includes about 25 to 500 movies. They cover the whole era of cinema, from 1893 (movies Edison) to date, of all genres and types of movies, from classic art films to scientific films, trailers and commercials. The most significant collections of the Museum include four special collections: the international heritage of independent, avant-garde films; independent film in Austria since 1950; the so-called "Films in exile": an international work of immigrants from Central and Eastern Europe; films from Soviet Russia made between 1918 to 1945.

The Museum regularly holds film screenings.