/ / Aqueduct

Aqueduct

Baden aqueduct is part of the first Vienna water supply system carried out at the end of the XIX century. The aqueduct crosses the local river Schwechat (Schwechat). It is located quite far from the centre of the Austrian city of Baden - two kilometers to the West of the main train station.

The first water pipe in Vienna was built in 1869-1873. For its construction were answered by the mayor of the city, the famous Baron Cajetan von Felder, who is remembered not only as a successful state and administrative leader, but also as a passionate entomologist. The length of the water almost reached 100 kilometers. Through channels and tunnels annual event 62 million cubic meters of fresh water. The first Vienna water supply system served more than 30 years, but in 1908-1909 in the city there was a need for construction of new canals and tunnels.

As for the Baden aqueduct, it was completed in 1872. This building height of 28 metres consists of dozens of high arches, the maximum radius which reaches 16 meters. The height of the largest arches reached 20 meters. The aqueduct is located in a romantic nature valley St. Helena (Helenental), where the river Schwechat is particularly violent waves and dangerous ravines. By the way, the name of this river derives from the Slavic languages and means "stinking river", which, however, may be associated with healing sulfuric hot springs, which are widespread on the territory of Baden.

The total length of the aqueduct is less than one kilometer - it is around 788 metres. Almost immediately after its construction, the city government wanted to build a boardwalk on the top of the aqueduct, however, the company responsible for the construction of the entire water supply network of Vienna refused. Now the aqueduct is considered to be a symbol of the Austrian city Baden and protected by the state.