/ / The Palace complex of the Shirvanshahs

The Palace complex of the Shirvanshahs

Photos and description

The Palace complex of the Shirvanshahs in Baku is one of the most famous, mysterious and majestic architectural monuments of Azerbaijan. The Palace complex is located in the oldest part of the city - Icheri Sheher, Baku on the top of the hill.

Construction of the Palace ensemble was carried out with the XIII to the XVI century, the Complex was built with one purpose - to move the state capital from Shemakha to Baku, where previously was the residence of the rulers. The complex was not built on a specific architectural plan, so it includes several buildings which are situated on three levels: the main building of the Palace (1420-ies.), the tomb (1435), Sofa-Khan (1450-ies), the Shah's mosque with a minaret (1441), Seyid mausoleum of Bakuvi (1450-ies) and the ruins of the mosque of Keykubad. Also to the palatial structures include Murad's gate (1585), to the East of the Palace, the remains of the bath and the basin. According to some historical sources to the North-East of the Palace buildings had stood by the Shah's stables, now the site contains a dwelling house.

The main building - the Palace - was built almost a decade. Its construction began in 1411, under the leadership of Shirvanshah Sheikh Ibrahim I, ally of Tamerlane. It is the largest building of this ensemble. For its construction were used the Absheron limestone. After processing, the limestone has acquired a Golden-ocher hue, so that the Palace looked very elegant. There was a large hall covered with an octagonal dome and chamber.

The upper level was occupied by serving the judgment seat Sofa-Khan is a beautiful pavilion with an octagonal room covered by a stone dome. On the second level, in the southern part of the complex houses the mausoleum of court scientist Seyid Yahya Bakuvi, or "the Mausoleum of a dervish". It was an octagonal building roofed with a tent the same shape. A little below the hill housed the burial vault of the Shirvanshahs, built in the early second half of the XV century It has a rectangular shape with a hexagonal dome. Here were buried members of the families of the Shirvan shahs. In the lower courtyard of the complex is the Palace mosque with a 22-metre minaret.

In 1964, the Palace complex has received the status of Museum-reserve, and since 2000 located in the world heritage list of UNESCO.