/ / The Carioca Aqueduct

The Carioca Aqueduct

The first attempts to bring the city water from the Carioca river was made in 1602 by order of the then Governor of the province of Rio de Janeiro of Martim Correia de Sá. In 1624, a contract was signed for the construction of the channel with Domingos da Rocha, which never started. In 1660 was laid the first 600 meters of pipes. Further work continued in 1706 under the government of don Fernando Martins, Mascarenhas Lancastre. In 1718 work began on the installation of water pipes on the old street Barons, for two years, the pipeline had reached the square and then the outskirts of the city. The Governor changed the original project, defended the need to extend the work in Saint Anthony field (now Largo da Carioca), inspired by the aqueduct in Lisbon. The work was completed in 1723, with the result that water entered in the fountain of Carioca, also built in the same year. In connection with frequent complaints about the lack of water since 1727 was introduced fines for damaging pipes and vandalism that were attributed to the Maroons (runaway slaves hiding in the woods). Was later introduced fee for the use of water.

The Governor Gomes Freire de Andrade in the year 1744, wanted to proceed to the reconstruction of the Aqueduct. But the cost of repair was too high, and the condition of the aqueduct left much to be desired. Therefore, by the engineer josé Fernandes Pinto Lucknow began construction of a new, larger water pipe, with brick arches, according to the adopted in may 1747 the decree to shelter water from sabotage. The new aqueduct was opened in 1750. Water flowed to the monastery of St. Anthony in marble fountain with 16 bronze spouts, later pipe extended to the streets of Kano and Palace square.

In the second half of the NINETEENTH century, with the invention of new means of supplying water to the city water stopped use. Aqueduct 1896 and turned into a tram bridge over which carriages transported passengers over a hundred years. After the tragedy of the loss of life in 2011, traffic was suspended. In connection with the football world Cup in 2014 tram route was launched again with respect to enhanced security measures, because this is one of the favorite tourist destinations.

The white arched building is a beautiful monument of colonial architecture and is used as a background for various special events.