/ / The Palace of QUINTA de Sá Cristovao

The Palace of QUINTA de Sá Cristovao

Urban Park of QUINTA is the Imperial Palace of QUINTA de Sao Cristovao, alternately known as St. Kitts (1803-1809), the Royal Palace (1810-1821), the Palace of Imperial (1822-1889). It was used in 1822-1889 years as the residence of the Imperial family of Brazil, and earlier as the residence of the Portuguese Royal family.

At the beginning of the 19th century, these lands belonged to Elias antónio Lopes, a wealthy merchant-to the Portuguese, who in 1803 built a manor house on top of a hill. When the Portuguese Royal family moved to Brazil in 1808, the merchant donated his estate to the Prince Regent joão VI. He accepted the gift and for a long time lived in the manor house. The king of Portugal with his family was in the Imperial Palace since their arrival in Rio de Janeiro. To better accommodate for them apartments, in 1819-1821, the estate was renovated and transformed into the Palace. The renovation led by British architect John Johnston. In front of the Palace architect was installed a decorative portico, a gift of the second Duke of Northumberland, Hugh Percy.

In 1822 Brazil declared independence, the complex was taken by the Emperor Pedro I. the Renovation and expansion of the Palace continued under the management of the Portuguese architect Manuel da Costa and then architect from France Pierre Pesa, who is credited with the final version of the neoclassical project. He joined the tower to the left of the main entrance facade and third floor. The works were continued after 1847, Then worked on a project Theodore Marx, who made the facades are harmonious, and the Italian painter Mario Brigandi paintings in the style of "surnaturel" give a unique character to the many rooms of the building, including the throne halls and the Embassy.

Pedro II in 1869 ordered to carry out alterations to the gardens. The new project of the French designer included artificial lakes, bridges, caves and temples pseudogene.

The Royal family left the country when, in 1889, was declared a Republic. The Palace and its surrounding gardens became empty. In 1891, the building was used by Brazilian politicians to write the first Republican Constitution of the country. In 1892, managed to pass the Palace under the control of the Director of the National Museum of Rio de Janeiro. The interiors of the Palace were lost, but some of them can still be found in other museums, for example in the Imperial Museum of Petropolis, which was re-assembled Throne room.

Today, the Royal Palace is the national Museum of archaeology and anthropology.