/ / Church. Athanasius

Church. Athanasius

Photos and description of Temple SV. Athanasius

The Church of St. Athanasius in Varna is located in the city center near the famous Roman baths. The construction of this Orthodox Church belongs to the August of 1838, before this place was a small, ancient Church of the early 17th century, which burned down two years earlier. According to some versions of her there were two medieval churches from 13-14 century. This temple among the local population also called the "Metropolitan Church", for the reason that the services held here, the Greek Metropolitan. The Greeks served here until 1914, and in 1920 went to the temple Russian priests. Only in 1939 the Church moved to the jurisdiction of the diocese of Bulgaria, thanks to Metropolitan Joseph.

The service in the Church ceased in 1961, on the orders of local authorities in Church building was opened the Museum of ancient iconography. However, thirty years later, on the feast day of St. Athanasius on 18 January, again in the temple were resumed. The Church operates to this day.

In the Varna Church of St. Athanasius kept the iconostasis, is a rare work of art. Created his master trevnenskoy famous art schools using traditional style carvings with images of fish, lions, birds of Paradise and entanglements of vines and oak branches. In each pattern there are solar rosettes. The iconostasis was restored in the seventies of the 20th century, it was returned to its original form. Decorated the iconostasis of the Church St. Athanasius 28 icons. The image of the Holy Athanasius was written by Dmitry, an icon painter from the town of Sozopol.

To the rebuilding of the temple in 1838 near the main entrance to the temple was buried Russian officer Prince Urusov, who participated in the war with the Turks in 1828. After the erection of the new building of burial was inside the Church between the entrance and the Episcopal throne. In 1960, tombstone was donated to the Museum of the Bulgarian Revival.

Today, the temple is a three-nave Basilica, a large glassed-in porch is reminiscent of a veranda. The temple walls are covered with 19th-century frescoes, which have survived quite well. Recently, specialists have found that under the paintings is another layer of frescoes, the most ancient, which belongs to the 17th century. In the temple exhibited different ritual Church plate 18-19th centuries.