/ / Royal Palace

Royal Palace

Photos and description

The Royal Palace in Phnom Penh is an architectural complex. Cambodian monarchs since its construction in the 1860-ies, not counting the reign of the Khmer Rouge. The Palace was built for king Norodom, who had moved to the new capital of Udong in the middle of the 19th century. The building was erected on the site of the old citadel, Banteay Kev, Khmer architectural style with French elements. From the East and the West from the Windows of the complex are visible to the Tonle SAP river and the Mekong.

With the classic red roofs and ornate gilding, the Royal Palace dominates the Phnom Penh. Nowadays it is the official residence of king Sihamoni, and a large part of the premises is closed to the public.

Visitors are allowed to come into the Throne room and a group of surrounding buildings.

The main attraction of the complex, the hall of coronations, used as a place for religious and secular ceremonies and meeting guests of the king. The present building was built in 1917, is destroyed in a 1915 wooden. The cross-shaped building complete with three of the spire. Central 59-meter spire topped with white four heads of Brahma. Inside the Throne hall contains three Royal throne, one in Western style and two in traditional, and Golden busts of kings and Queens who ruled Cambodia before. To the North of the throne of the Golden sculpture of the monarch Sisowath Monivong with a sword in his hand, and to the South of the throne of the statue of king made in the form of sitting in full ceremonial garb of the figure.

Traditional thrones are covered with intricate floral carvings.

In addition to the Throne room, to inspect the outside of the Lunar available the pavilion (it hosts banquets and speeches for the ruling family), the Silver pagoda is a vault of treasures and crystal Buddha, Chedi (stupa) of the king, Queen, Princess, Palace of Chemerin, dance pavilions, guest houses and other buildings.