/ / Vancouver Museum

Vancouver Museum

Photos and description

The Vancouver Museum was founded in April of 1894 as an Artistic, historical and scientific Association of Vancouver and a long time had its own premises, showing their collections on a variety of temporary exhibitions. In 1903 the imposing meeting of the Association was officially transferred to the city, and in 1905 the Carnegie library building was held the solemn opening of the first permanent exhibition of the Museum of the City of Vancouver.

As the years passed, the Museum's collection rapidly and in 1958 the library moved into the new building and the City Museum was the only occupant of the Carnegie center. In 1967, in the framework of the celebration "of the centenary of the Confederation of Canada", the city authorities finally decide on the construction of a new building for the Museum. Its doors for visitors to the new Museum opened in 1968. The original structure with an unusual dome, much like a woven hat of indigenous peoples lived once in the North-West coast, was designed by renowned architect Gerard Hamilton and is today one of the main architectural sights of Vancouver. Together with the new building, the Museum received a new name - "Museum of the century". Subsequently, the Museum was renamed "Vancouver Museum" (1981), and in 2009 received its current name, the "Museum of Vancouver".

Impressive collection of the Museum, which today has more than 65,000 exhibits, gathered more than a hundred years. Initially, the aim was to acquaint the people of Vancouver with the history of world culture, but over time the Museum focused on the artifacts illustrating the history of Vancouver and its surrounding areas and this area remains a priority today. The Museum is famous for a wide range of educational programs among which are very popular, of course, are programs format "family weekend" is an ideal option for educational family time.

The Vancouver Museum is also home to the astronomical Museum and planetarium known as Space center Macmillan and received its name in honor of the canadian industrialist and philanthropist Gordon Macmillan, which significant financial assistance in the construction of the Museum building.