/ / The Montreal Museum of fine arts

The Montreal Museum of fine arts

Photos and description

The Montreal Museum of fine arts - art Museum in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The Museum is located in the historical centre of the city on Sherbrooke street.

History of the Museum began, in fact, in 1860 with the founding of Montreal by Bishop Francis Fulford and photographer William Notman Association of fine arts. Lacking its own facilities, and as such the means to acquire works of art for nearly twenty years, the Association only dealt with the organization in Montreal a variety of temporary exhibitions. 1877 was a watershed for the future of the Museum. Well-known Montreal businessman Bania Gibb donated Association of fine arts most of his personal collection of works of art, which, in fact, became the basis of the Museum collection, as well as 8,000 canadian dollars and a plot of land in the North-East corner of Phillips square, provided that within three years there will be built a building for the art Museum. So 26 may 1879, the Governor General of Canada, John Douglas Sutherland Campbell, inaugurated in the square Phillips Art gallery Association of fine arts of Montreal (gallery became the first building in the history of Canada, which was built specially to house the collection of works of art). Contribution Banaya Jibba attracted the attention of the General public, as a consequence, the number of those wishing to make a donation the gallery has increased dramatically, and the collection began to grow rapidly.

In 1893, the gallery building was thoroughly expanded, but over time it became clear that to accommodate the huge collection you need a more spacious structure. So in the summer of 1910 at Sherbrooke street has begun construction of a new home for the art collection of the Montreal. An impressive monumental building in neoclassical style was built by the talented architects of the brothers Edward and William Sutherland Maxwell (pavilion Michal and Renata Hornstein). Grand opening of the Museum of arts was held in December 1912. In 1949, the Museum received its current name - the Montreal Museum of fine arts.

In 1976, under the direction of architect Fred Lebensold was completed new wing of the Museum pavilion Liliane and David M. Stewart, and in 1991 was opened the pavilion Jean-Noël Desmarais, designed by Moshe Safdie. Significantly increased exhibition space of the Museum and the inclusion of in 2010, the Museum complex of the former American Church (hall Claire and Marc Bourgie). Part of the Museum is the so-called "sculpture Garden", open in 2004. In 2017 to the 375th anniversary of Montreal plans to open a new fifth pavilion.

Today, the collection of the Montreal Museum of fine arts, there are over 38 000 objects - paintings, prints, drawings, sculpture, jewelry, English China, vintage fabric and much more. The Museum presents the work of such internationally famous artists as El Greco, Rembrandt, Delacroix, Poussin, Breughel the younger, Mantegna, Memling, Titian, Cezanne, Bouguereau, Picasso, Rodin, etc. the collection of the Museum is considered to be one of the best art collections in the world.

Robbery of the Montreal Museum of fine arts in September of 1972 went down in history as the biggest Heist in the history of Canada. Among the missing treasures of the Museum were works by Rembrandt, Delacroix, Camille Caro, and Rubens. Unfortunately, stolen and failed to find.

In addition to the permanent exhibitions at the Montreal Museum of fine arts regularly holds temporary exhibitions.