/ / The Bonsecours Market

The Bonsecours Market

Photos and description

The Bonsecours market - public market in Montreal, Canada. The market is located in the heart of Old Montreal on St-Paul street. Near the market is one of the oldest churches of Montreal - "Notre Dame de Bon Secour", after which the market actually got its name.

The market building was designed by the British architect William is offered in all and a two-storey domed structure in the colonial style. Construction began in 1844 and for nearly three years, held its Grand opening. However, some of the changes the building has undergone in 1860 under the leadership of the canadian architect of Irish descent, George brown.

In 1849, the Bonsecours market building briefly housed the Parliament of United Canada, and between 1852 and 1878 years - Montreal city hall.

Repeatedly used the building for banquets, exhibitions, fairs and cultural events. For this purpose, the city Council instructed George brown to design a spacious concert and Banquet halls. So in 1860, the East wing of the building there was a huge concert hall in the Victorian style with an area of 900 square meters and a capacity of 3,000 people.

In the 80-ies of the 19th century, the Bonsecours market was the main public market in Montreal and for over 100 years really is. In 1984, the Bonsecours Market was declared a national historic site of Canada. Today, the marché Bonsecours is one of the most popular attractions of downtown Montreal and one of the most beautiful architectural structures in Canada.