/ / The Byward Market

The Byward Market

Photos and description

The Byward market (also known as Baia Bawardi Market or market) is one of the largest and oldest public markets in Canada. It is located in the heart of Ottawa and is a huge shopping district in the southwestern part of the so-called "Lower city" or Lowertown. From the West it is bounded by streets of Sussex Drive and Mackenzie Avenue, East Cumberland street, South Rideau street and to the North extends all the way to Cathcart street.

The name of the market was in honor of the founder of the Ottawa - British engineer Colonel-Lieutenant John Bai, the chief engineer of the project "the Rideau canal", which actually started the history of the modern city. John Bai in 1826, developed a plan for the original market, initially limited to the streets of George street and York street, more like broad avenues. The width of the streets was approximately 40 m, which was very prudent, as it gave them the opportunity to deliver goods horse carriages directly to the market. A few years later, around the market square there are shops, hotels, taverns and industrial enterprises, and by the mid-19th century the area became an important industrial and commercial center.

For almost two centuries, the Byward Market has undergone dramatic changes and significantly expanded its borders. Today it is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Ottawa, as well as a popular place for residents of the city. You'll find here open trading platform, a variety of shops, cafes, restaurants, night clubs, pubs (including the oldest pub Ottawa's Chateau Lafayette), beauty salons, entertainment and more.