/ / The Building Of The Confederation

The Building Of The Confederation

Photos and description

Among the architectural landmarks of Ottawa special attention certainly deserves the building of the Confederation. Magnificent neo-Gothic building located in the heart of the capital, to the West of the canadian Parliament buildings, on the corner of Bank street and Wellington street, and are often considered as part of the famous architectural ensemble, known as Parliament hill.

In the early 19th century the land where today stands the building of the Confederation and the Supreme court of Canada that was densely built up with houses and shops. However, the Parliament adopted the decision on the transfer of land to the government for subsequent construction of new buildings of Federal significance. So, in July, 1927, in celebration of the Diamond jubilee of Canada in the presence of the Governor-General was laid the first stone in the Foundation of the building of the Confederation. The construction project was designed by architects Richard Wright and Thomas fuller.

The Grand opening was held in 1931, and the building settled government departments. The majority of space at that time was occupied by the staff of the Department of agriculture and agri-food Canada. Today, the building is home of the Confederation of civil servants of various departments, and a number of MPs and Ministers.

The building of the Confederation represents the original V-shaped, crowned with turrets, the building and visually resembles a castle. The walls of the building lined with stone walls and decorated with various carved ornaments, and steep roof covered with copper a greenish hue.