/ / The Church Of St. Brigid

The Church Of St. Brigid

Photos and description

Among the many attractions of Ottawa special attention, perhaps, deserves the former Roman Catholic Church of St. Brigid, which is now home to the Irish-canadian cultural centre, known as the arts Center of Saint Brigid.

In the mid-19th century, the Basilica of our lady (Notre Dame) was the only Catholic Church of Ottawa service which was visited by both English-speaking and French-speaking Catholic community of the city. By 1870, the percentage residing in Ottawa Irish, of which mainly consisted of the English-speaking community decreased dramatically, and significantly reduced their role and influence in the life and management of Notre-Dame Cathedral. Eventually the question arose about the creation of a separate Anglophone parish. In 1888, from the Archdiocese of Ottawa Joseph-Thomas Duhamel finally received approval to create a new parish, and in 1889 on the corner of St. Patrick and Cumberland began the construction of the future Church of St. Brigid. The project of the construction in neo-Romanesque style was designed by James R. Bowes. The solemn consecration of the Church took place in August 1890.

In may 2006, Archbishop Marcel Gervais made a decision about closing the Church of St. Bridget, on the grounds that the reduction of the number of parishioners and, as a consequence, lack of funds to maintain its functioning and the inability to carry out even minor repairs. In 2007 the building was put up for sale and as a result is sold for 450 thousand canadian dollars. The new owners have renovated the house and placed it in the Center of the Irish-canadian cultural heritage and now regularly hosts various social and cultural activities - exhibitions, concerts, theatrical performances, wedding celebrations and corporate parties.