/ / The Cathedral Of Saint-Jacques

The Cathedral Of Saint-Jacques

Photos and description

Among the architectural sights of the canadian city of Montreal, special attention will always be located on the corner of St-Denis and St-Catherine is a former Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint-Jacques (St. James).

The Cathedral of Saint-Jacques was the first purpose-built Catholic Cathedral of Montreal. The first stone in the Foundation of the Cathedral was laid on 22 may 1823 and in September 1825 he made his solemn consecration in honour of St. James. Until 1852 the Cathedral of Saint-Jacques was a Cathedral of the diocese of Montreal.

In 1852 in the devastating fire that destroyed nearly half the city and left without a roof over the head of some 10,000 montrealers, thoroughly hurt and the Cathedral of Saint-Jacques. The Bishop of Montreal, Bourget Ignat initiated the construction of a new Cathedral and Bishop's residence located in the nearby chapel of the women's religious congregation of the Sisters of Providence, where he remained until the solemn opening of the Cathedral Mary Queen of the World in 1894. Cathedral Saint-Jacques to 1857 were restored under the guidance of architect John Austell parish Church, but in the next year again burned. This time the recovery was made by famous canadian architect Victor Bourgeois and in 1860 the Church was opened for worship.

Subsequently, in the architectural appearance of the Cathedral was made a number of changes. So in 1876, was built by the famous 85-meter spire of the Cathedral, and in 1889 the transept. In 1905 the spire was adorned with a Golden weathervane.

Another fire in 1933 was again seriously damaged the building, but the temple was restored again. Over time, the number of parishioners has decreased significantly, and by 1965, the Cathedral of Saint-Jacques has actually ceased to exist as a parish Church, becoming, in essence, a pilgrimage center. In 1967, the Cathedral was one of the venues of the world Expo.

In 1973 the building of the Cathedral of Saint-Jacques acquired by the University of Quebec. Part of the structure (with the exception of the spire and transept) was destroyed, and after a major redevelopment, the building has become one with one of the new University buildings.