/ / House Saint-Gabriel

House Saint-Gabriel

Photos and description

One of the most interesting museums in Montreal, is undoubtedly the House of St. Gabriel, situated in the district of Pointe-Saint-Charles (arrondissement Le Sud-Ouest). House Saint-Gabriel has the status of a National historic site of Canada.

In October 1662, the founder of Montreal, Paul of Samedi de Mesones officially secured a small plot of land in Pointe-Saint-Charles for the women's religious order - the Congregation de Notre Dame. The founder and head of the order of the Marguerite Bourgeois initiated construction on the land of a farm to cover its own food needs of the congregation. Here it was decided to open a women's preparatory school.

In 1668 the order purchased adjacent to the farm and owned by Francois Le Take the plot of land where they already had built in 1660 stone dwelling house and outbuildings. Over time, the congregation has acquired new land for agricultural expansion, some of which in the 19th century were sold. In 1693 the house Francois Le ber was completely destroyed by fire, restored the house to 1698. Later was built a series of buildings - stables, chicken coop, barn, etc. the Sisters of the congregation were engaged in cultivation of various crops (including wheat, oats, corn, pumpkins), as well as the production of butter, wool, soap and leather. The name "House of St. Gabriel" farm was established in the first half of the 20th century.

In the early 1960-ies with the aim of preserving the history and heritage of the first settlers of New France, it was decided to turn the House of St. Gabriel, which is a magnificent example of architecture of the French regime, to the Museum. Because for several centuries the interior of the old house has undergone several major changes, in 1965, restoration work began under the leadership of Victor Capocasa order to recreate the original interior of the 17th century. For the nuns, which as planned, will be in charge of a Museum, the farm by this time a new building was constructed - the house of Jean Leber. In 1966, the House-Museum of Saint-Gabriel for the first time opened its doors to the General public. In 2010, the House of Jean-Leber was transformed into a new Museum pavilion - Catherine-Crolo.

Today in the House of St. Gabriel has more than 15,000 exhibits, perfectly illustrate the history, culture and peculiarities of life of rural life in New France - it's furniture, clothing and accessories, a variety of utensils and tools, decorative and applied arts, letters and books, textiles and much more. Some of the exhibits really original, part of the same - well done copies created according to the old drawings.