/ / Big Wild Goose pagoda

Big Wild Goose pagoda

Photos and description

Big Wild Goose pagoda was built in 652, during the reign of the Tang dynasty. There is a brick pagoda in the temple Dapu 4 km from the city centre of XI'an. The height of the building is 64.7 meters. Because of the destruction of the initial number of tiers was reduced twice, but was able to reconstruct the third. Now the pagoda has seven storeys.

Construction work was carried out on the orders of Emperor Gao Zong of the Tang dynasty, who thus wanted to immortalize the memory of his mother. The name comes from a legend: the passing of these places, the Buddha felt a great desire to taste the meat of wild geese, but overcame the temptation. The main purpose of the construction of a large pagoda to preserve the sacred Buddhist texts and relics brought by the monk Xuan Can from India.

Big Wild Goose pagoda is amazing in its architectural idea, the building is a building that consists entirely of bricks, no fastening solution. Used the same method as during construction Chinese architects wooden structures, so-called "fork".

The sanctuary with three statues of the incarnations of the Sakyamuni Buddha, is located on the bottom tier. In one of the adjoining layer structures holds the bell of the Ming dynasty. The weight of the bell 15 tons.

Each successive layer smaller than the previous one. Each floor has arched doors, covered in beautiful carvings. In 1958 was built the ladder, rising on which you can enjoy panoramic views of the surroundings.

An interesting tradition has developed during the Tang dynasty. Each candidate officials wrote poems on the walls of the pagoda. Some people did even the whole poem. To have survived the creativity of several generations of Chinese officials.

In the temple are two rare stele with the signatures of the emperors of the Tang dynasty. They have been here for 1200 years. Also on the temple grounds is the forest of stupas.

Big Wild Goose pagoda is located on the territory of the temple complex Yes Chen, which was founded in the year 589. Its heyday, the Church has experienced during the reign of the Tang dynasty. After the temple complex were gradually destroyed. Today in the Church are thirteen internal courtyards and 1879 of the premises.