/ / Beijing Confucius temple

Beijing Confucius temple

Photos and description

Beijing Confucius temple was established in 1306, however, the complex has repeatedly been renovated and rebuilt. Despite all the reconstruction, most of the buildings in the temple complex remained unchanged, in its original form. The area of the temple is almost 50 000 square metres. Largest temple of Confucius is second among all the temples in Beijing. The largest temple is located in Qufu city, Shandong province.

One of the main temple buildings - the pavilion of Learning. The building is surrounded by cypresses, and the roof lined with tiles of yellow color. Near the entrance are many stone drums, inscribed with poems on them. The walls of the building Learning completely covered with hieroglyphs, which stand on a turtle back. The inscriptions tell about the best students of the great Confucius, about the merits of the rulers and simply convey wise sayings. In this pavilion, 2 times a year, heirs to the Dragon throne brought gifts and offerings to the teacher.

The Confucius temple can be divided into two parts. The first part is a patio with an area of 30000 square meters. The rest of the space belongs to the State Academy, which is also called the Imperial Academy and the Academy of the Wise. This number of names is due to the fact that the establishment repeatedly renamed and changed the status. At the time this institution was the highest and most prestigious in the Chinese Empire. First, the Academy was just school, then became the centre of the study, and during the reign of the Emperor of the Tang dynasty became the Academy "Hostican". Then, after it came to power the Imperial yuan dynasty, the Academy was renamed again and it became known as "the heart of the wise."

Training in this school was very prestigious, opened prospects for young people, including in the service of the state. Therefore, the students flocked to the Imperial Academy from all over China. The study was restricted to three years, then was in practice for one year, followed by the exam. At positive delivery of students of the Academy received ranks and service. According to historical documents, career Academy was built, and the Koreans, Russians, Thais. In 1900 the Imperial Academy ceased its activities.