/ / She Shan Basilica of the virgin Mary

She Shan Basilica of the virgin Mary

Photos and description

She Shan Basilica of the virgin Mary is at the top of the Snake mountain (Sheshan). This is the only hilly mountain in Shanghai with a very mild climate, which attracts tourists and visitors alike. On a nearby hill is a national forest Park.

In 1863, during the Taiping rebellion, the Jesuit monks were able to buy land on the mountain and put your temple on the spot where was formerly a Jesuit monastery. After less than 100 years, the number of people wanting to pray in the temple, has become so great that the Church could not accommodate all who suffer. It is therefore decided to build a new, larger building - granite Basilica. The construction lasted for 10 years, almost to the end of 1935, and 1940-th years of the Basilica of the virgin Mary has become quite famous Catholic Church in the East. Today the Basilica has not lost its influence, to worship the virgin Mary every day visited by hundreds of pilgrims.

The building of the temple can be seen from afar - its height, with the bell tower, is 38 metres. You can get inside in two different ways. The first way is go all the way on foot. This path leads past old pagodas, bamboo forest, then mixed tropic with pointers to the temple. The second method is by using the funicular. This is much faster but more expensive. The funicular costs 10 yuan for 1 person. View of tourists on top, one of the most beautiful in the Western suburbs of Shanghai.

The Church has the shape of a "cross". It is noteworthy that the construction of the Basilica without metal, boards and nails - it's all made of granite stone. Above the altar, carved from marble, is an image of the mother of God with Jesus Christ on his hands.

The temple can accommodate about 3,000 people. The interior of the Basilica is not luxurious and not pretentious, but nevertheless the architecture is impressive effect on the guests.

In the Cultural revolution period building of the Basilica was badly damaged, and all the stained glass Windows and paintings destroyed. In 1981, the Church regained possession of the local diocese, and the Basilica was restored.