/ / The Temple Ling

The Temple Ling

Photos and description

Ling temple ("Temple of the Valley of the spirits") played an important role in the spread of Buddhism on the territory of ancient China. The temple is located on the southern slope of Purple Gold Mountain (Zijin) in Nanjing. The construction of the sightseeing began in the year 512, and 515, the year it was completed under the leadership of Emperor Wu-di (Liang dynasty). The initial construction site was a hill Downpou, but in 1376 the Hongwu Emperor ordered to transfer the building in the vicinity of mount Zijin. This decision was due to the fact that the place Ling planned creation of the famous Ming Xiaoling mausoleum.

The temple is quite often changed its name. So, in the era tan building called Bogun Sanjuan, and in the yuan and song periods, the temple was known among Buddhists as Dipensing Sy. During the reign of the Ming dynasty Ling again was renamed Jiangshan Sy. Only in the early fourteenth century, the Church acquired its final name, which has survived to the present day.

A large part of the temple complex were destroyed during the Taiping war (mid XIXth century). However, well-preserved hall of WLAN Dian, or the "House without rafters", built without the use of construction materials made of wood that support the roof of the temple. Inside the chamber many centuries ago were the relics of the Holy monk by Xuanzang, who were come to pray the Buddhists from all over China.

Restoration work-Ling is still going on. In 1929, near the temple of the same name was built a pagoda, enshrining the memory of those killed in the North approach the soldiers.