/ / Twin pagoda

Twin pagoda

Photos and description

Twin Pagoda (pagoda of Valor, Benevolence pagoda), built in 982, located in the Eastern part of Suzhou. Initially, these buildings were framed with the two sides of the entrance to the ancient Buddhist temple, Bangguo, known throughout China during the reign of the song dynasty. However, in 1860 the temple was razed to the ground, leaving only the lonely the twin pagodas reminding local residents about the historical past of Suzhou.

The architecture of the pagoda attracts attention, as the master of the X century has attempted to combine elements of traditional Chinese architecture with European features the construction of buildings of this kind. On the top of each of the pagodas was installed a long metal spire, which became a symbol of the temple. The main idea of the architects of the past was the construction of identical brick buildings consisting of 7 floors with 4 arched window openings, staggered.

In the mid-twentieth century began an extensive renovation of the attractions that have led to the fact that one of the pagodas was lower by 40 inches. The external defect only visible at close range. In General, the builders managed to restore the historical appearance of the pagodas.

Today, the twin pagodas embody the classic example of Oriental art, around which still you can see the destroyed part of the old temple. The area around the pagoda is guarded by the authorities of the city, which testifies to the special significance of these objects.