/ / Iver Church

Iver Church

Photos and description

Iver Church, or a temple in honor of the Iberian icon of the Mother of God was erected in 1907 on the initiative of Archpriest Sergius Producen, who served as rector at St. Nicholas Church and contributing about 30 thousand rubles for construction of Orthodox shrines. Active participation in the creation of the Church was accepted by Lieutenant N. M. Chichagov, who considered its main task to provide a place for prayer and communion to soldiers from Russian troops based in the area of Harbin.

In may 1907, the Bishop of Pereslavl innocent blessed the laying of the first stone, and then for the inner decoration of the Church was made of carved iconostasis, and the implementation of icons ordered Chernihiv masters. In June 1908 the Church was officially opened in a festive atmosphere, what immediately informed the Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna.

For many years the Church was the center of Orthodoxy in Harbin and is constantly updated with new collections of ancient icons and Christian relics, and brought the different ends of Russia. However, after the death of the last Abbot Valentin Baryshnikov (1962) all worship in the temple ceased, and in 1966, the temple was completely devastated.

In 1920, in the left part of the Church was buried the famous General of the White army of Vladimir Kappel, resting here until 2006, in which his remains were reburied in Moscow. Currently, the Iberian Church is a dilapidated building surrounded by skyscrapers and on the ground floor is a dormitory for the poor.