/ / Grožnjan


Photos and description

Grožnjan - one of the cities of the Istrian Peninsula. It is located at an altitude of 260 meters above sea level. The area around Grožnjan is known as a rich Deposit of marble of a light shade, the origin of which dates back to the Cretaceous period. In addition to domestic consumption, groznenskii marble comes to Vienna, Budapest and Trieste. It is used for architectural purposes. Especially popular this marble began in the late nineteenth century.

The first mention of Grožnjan is found in 1102, when the Marquis Ulrich II and his wife Adelaide gave this earth a gift to the Patriarch of Aquileia. There are also mention of grožnjan prowess in the war between Hungary and Venice in the year 1356. However, this did not prevent the new owner of this land two years later to pass it to Venice in exchange for four thousand ducats. Thus, the 1358 1797. landlady of Grožnjan was Venice.

During Venetian rule, the citizens fortified the town walls and renovated the Palace. In 1385 the city is called a powerful military base that can withstand attacks from Turkey.

In 1630 grožnjan is suffering from the plague. To combat the epidemic, the Venetian government encourages the residents to resettle in villages around the city and to engage in the cultivation of land and trade. Settlers were exempt from taxes, but with the condition of cultivation in the next five years. The government of Venice succeeded: the economy grew, transport and trade have improved and, most importantly, aligns the demographic situation.

In the nineteenth century, grožnjan was under the rule of Austria-Hungary, which also has a positive influence on its development. They built Railways, dynamically developing trade and agriculture. In the early XX century in the city there was a school, post office, bakery, refinery, handicraft manufacturing, etc. In 1965, the houses passed Grožnjan artists from Slovenia, Vojvodina and Croatia, and the Centre for youth music Federation.

A small area includes the Church of STS. Kosmy I Domiana. The inscription at the entrance attribute its construction to 1554 In 1954 was restored to the interior of the Church, and in 1988-89. artist John Lovrencic painted the interior of the Church in the spirit of modern visual language.

With the local Church of the Mother of God Bastia (1610) is a funny legend. Fishermen, as it swims the river, peaceful on the boat, suddenly heard a shout: “Basta!”. The fishermen hurried to approach the shore, and soon this place was built a Church in honour of the virgin.

Currently, the city has the status of touristic and cultural centre of Croatia.