/ / Trsat

Trsat

Photos and description

Trsat - Rijeka small district, a famous place for pilgrims Catholics and a popular tourist attraction. Once Trsat were regarded as separate settlement, but over time became part of the sprawling city of Rijeka.

Trsat has an interesting history. Settlement of Tarsatica was founded here in pre-Roman times the Celts. In the middle of the II century BC LIBURNIA land was conquered by the Romans. In the VII century these lands came the Slavs, who gradually mingled with the Roman population.

In the Chronicles preserved mention of the siege Trata Franks, she came in 799 in the period of the collapse of the Roman Empire. The siege provoked the Duke Eric Priola during one of his trips to the Drava. It is not known exactly who prevented the Duke of the Slavs, the Byzantines or the Avars (it is possible, these peoples came together to fight the Franks). The fact is that during the preparation of the siege Prius detachment fell into an ambush and was defeated. Thus, the fortress Trsat, which belonged to Prince Viseslava left for Croatia.

In 1288, the fortress of Trsat is referred to as Tarsatica. In the year 1466 Trsat became part of the Austrian power at that time it was renamed in Fiume (Forum). Under the Austrians, the town remained until the First world war. Exceptions were only 1805-1813., when the fortress was occupied by the troops of Napoleon.

In the XV-XVIII centuries, Valum played a noticeable role for the Austrians. Trsat was the only port on the Adriatic coast, belonged to Austria. Despite the fact that Dalmatia and Istria belonged to Venice.

On-site Trata preserved castle, which is visited by tourists. Also here are the famous stairs of Petar Kruzic and arch at the foot of the stairs. Of the interesting architectural monuments are preserved in the Church. George and the Basilica of the virgin Mary and Trotsky the mother of God (dated back to XV century). Trotsky Basilica of Notre-Dame is the honorary title of "minor Basilica" which belongs only seven cathedrals in Croatia.