/ / Cathedral

Cathedral

Photos and description

Kaptol on the square is the Cathedral. It was consecrated in honor of St. Stephen, St. Ladislaus, and ascension of the virgin Mary; mentioned in ancient Chronicles of the IX century. After a major earthquake of 1880 the twin towers of the Cathedral (the height of each 105 meters), executed in the Gothic style, crumbled to dust. Later the tower and the facade of the Cathedral was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style.

The interior of the Church also decided in the Gothic revival style. The bottom window is made of mottled glass for the project of the Viennese architect Herman Bolle at the end of the XIX century. Luxurious Cathedral chair of 1696, supported by an angel, executed in the Baroque style. The triptych in the sacristy was painted by Albrecht dürer (1495).