/ / Marija Bistrica

Marija Bistrica

Photos and description

Marija Bistrica is 20 kilometers from the Croatian capital, in the historic region called Hrvatsko Zagorje. Marija Bistrica is known primarily as the largest pilgrimage center in Croatia, annually visited by hundreds of thousands of people.

Marija Bistrica is first mentioned in documents Dating from 1209, the year. In 1334, the year recorded the first data on the Church of STS. Peter and Paul. According to legend, during the threat of the attack of the Turks, a local priest hid in 1545, the statue, depicting the virgin Mary with the baby. In 1588 the statue was found due to the bright glow that emanated from her. After this incredible occasion, the statue is considered miraculous, and in Maria Bistrica began to receive pilgrims.

In 1710, the Croatian Parliament adopted a decision on allocation of funds for the construction of a new altar in the Church, which was built in five years. In 1731 the Church was expanded and rededicated in honor of the virgin Mary, therefore changed the name of the settlement. In 1750 Marija Bistrica by the decision of Pope Benedict XVI was included in the list of sanctuaries virgin.

From 1879 to 1882 was built the new Church building in neo-Renaissance style. The restoration project was designed by architect Herman Bolle. The temple was surrounded by arcades, and in 1883 acquired a modern look. In 1923, Pope Pius XI sanctuary of the city was granted the status of "Minor Basilica", and later, in 1935, the image was crowned by the Archbishop of Zagreb. In 1971, the day on 13 July was declared a holiday of the Mother of God of the Bistrica.

An important event in modern history is the visit of Mary of Bistrica, Pope John Paul II in 1998. On 3 October they were given a ceremony by the reckoning of Archbishop Aloysius Stepinac beatified.