/ / The zoo and Museum of nature

The zoo and Museum of nature

Photos and description

The zoo and nature Museum in split appeared due donated to the city in the early XX century, several valuable natural collections. Professor Umberto Girometta in 1923 raised the question of the creation of the Museum of natural history. The municipal Council of split, took the matter into consideration and in 1924 was founded the first Museum, and Girometta became its leader until his death in 1939.

In the first years of its existence, the Museum was located in one of the municipal buildings in the heart of the city. Soon the premises became too small and the Museum moved into one of the buildings of the Park Marjan. Along with the Museum there was a small zoo, representing certain types of local and exotic animals. For the first in the territory of the former Yugoslavia Aquarium next to the Museum building was built for extra space. A few years later, the Aquarium was closed and converted into a small terrarium. Today the zoo in split more than 300 species of animals.

The building in the Park Marjan in a time of war 1991, it was closed for security reasons. Then the Museum moved to the fortress of Gripe, and after 1997 returned to Marian. After 2000, at the request of employees, the needs of the Museum was allocated new space, a total area of approximately 1156 square meters, in which the Museum began work in January 2002.

Before opening the new Director of the Museum was reorganized Museum, periactine collection and added several new exposures (for example, a collection of stuffed animals and birds, Department of Geology and paleontology, entomology, Department of vertebrates and invertebrates, etc.). Also work was done on the processing and systematization of exhibits, field research in the Central part of Dalmatia, numerous thematic exhibitions in the Museum and outside it. In addition, the Museum staff participate in numerous scientific conferences.

On the first floor of the Museum hosts various themed exhibitions, while the remaining floors are home to permanent exhibitions. Anyone can buy in the Museum and additional materials on the history of the Museum and local natural history.