/ / Trakošćan

Trakošćan

Photos and description

The castle trakošćan is perhaps the most visited place in Northern Croatia. The entrance is a simple path of gravel, although the castle looks very majestic. Yellow-white stone walls, a drawbridge and a luxurious land - all this creates a fantastic illusion around the fortress, which was built in the 13th century. His condition carefully maintained and today it is one of the best preserved castles in the country.

Trakoscan was built in 13th century in North-Western fortification system of Croatia as a small fortress for monitoring and control of the roads. According to legend, Trakoscan was named after another fortification, which in ancient times was located at the same place. Another source claims that it was named in honor of the knights, who controlled the region in the early middle Ages.

For the first time the castle is mentioned in written sources in 1334. It is unknown who was the first owner Trakoscan. In the late 14th century, the castle belonged to the counts of Celje, who were in charge of the entire Zagorje County. After the family died, the castle was divided and changed owners. Only in 1566 ownership was transferred to the state.

King Maximilian gave the castle to Juraj Drašković, for services rendered, first personally, and then as family heritage. This family Dashkovicha came into possession of Trakoscan. In the second half of the 18th century, the castle trakošćan was abandoned. Forgotten, he was very dilapidated. And only in the mid-19th century, when the family again became interested in his property in the spirit of romanticism, return to nature and family values, one of its representatives turned the castle into a residential manor. Subsequent generations lived in the castle from time to time until 1944, when they were forced to emigrate to Austria. Soon after the castle was nationalized.

Museum with a permanent exhibition was created in 1953. Today the castle is owned by Croatia. The castle itself displays the different stages of construction. For several centuries it was used as a fortification, so everything is done at the time of reconstruction was more functional than aesthetic. A well-chosen location-building and observation tower, made him strong and safe.

The rapid development of firearms and the active attacks threatening the Turks forced the owners to further strengthen the lock. So, the second generation of the family drašković, Ivan and Peter, he added the West tower.

In the 19th century trakošćan acquired its present appearance. In 1840-1864., one of the first stages of reconstruction, the castle was restored in neo-Gothic style. He not only changed his appearance, but stopped finally to serve as fortified. When the dam was built surrounding the castle valley into a large lake.

After the reconstruction, the castle was home to several generations of the family Draskovic, who did some additional constructions and adaptations. Was added to the North tower above the entrance and South West terrace.

At the end of the Second world war Trakoscan was discovered in an abandoned and dilapidated condition. This was followed by a protective architectural and interior work. In recent years the castle again underwent a thorough reconstruction.

Inside the castle is also very interesting and colorful. The first floor is made in 19th century style - lots of antique furniture, wood and portraiture. On the upper floors you will find the ancient weapon, a jumble of furniture, walls with open areas of the original Wallpaper and a few original tapestries.