/ / The Town Of Pag

The Town Of Pag

Photos and description

The town of Pag is located on the West coast of the eponymous island and is its largest settlement. The history of the city was turbulent, filled with events. In the 13th century, Pag became a free Royal city, this status was given to him by king Bela IV. He suffered greatly in the war with Venice, and in the 15th century, fearing Turkish raids, the locals decided a few kilometers away to build a new city. The drawings for it were developed Juraj Dalmatinac, the famous sculptor and architect.

Many of the attractions of Pag managed to keep, despite the fact that the city was going through difficult times. Great cultural importance is the old town of Pag, which is just one kilometre to the South of modern Pag. Here still stands the Romanesque Church of the assumption, Dating from 1192, the year. Near the ruins was built later, in 1318, the Franciscan monastery. This monastery is a legend claiming that during a drought in the reservoir of the monastery miraculously, water appeared. The revival of the city can be considered as its moving to a new place in the 15th century. Initially, around the town built a high stone wall with towers, today in the Northern part of the city you can see their remains.

The defensive tower, Scrivanich, defending the city from the North, the only surviving of all the nine towers of the fortress wall, and today appears to us in its original form. In the 15th century it stood on the sea shore, now the water is about 50 meters. In summer, the tower hosts cultural events for tourists.

The East gate is the Church of St. Francis, and the North - St. George. Saint George is the patron Saint of the town, its Church, built in the 15th century, was part of the city wall. The Church in the 16th century and expanded and rebuilt. Nowadays, there sometimes is carried out of the mass, the Church is used as exhibition space.

The Palace of the Prince - Knezev yard - located opposite the Church of St. Mary in the main square of the city. In the 15th century, during Venetian rule, it housed the residence of the Prince. Now it is a two-storey building - a monument of architecture, of exhibitions, performances, concerts, festivals, various cultural events.

The island of Pag, in the center crossed by the 15th Meridian of East longitude, at this point is a marble monument on which is shown the cross. In the old town of Pag was established one of the first European solar hours.