/ / Cathedral of the assumption of the Blessed virgin Mary

Cathedral of the assumption of the Blessed virgin Mary

Photos and description

Cathedral of the assumption of the Blessed virgin Mary is located in the city center on a lively pedestrian street. The Cathedral was built on the place where going to the early Christians, when their religion was banned (i.e., before IV century). Over time (closer to fifth century) erected the building acquired the look of the Church.

Now the Cathedral is three-aisled structure, it is divided by two rows of columns. The altar of the Cathedral is located in the North side elevation has a semicircular shape. Around the altar of the fragments of floor mosaics V-VI centuries. Memorial inscriptions immortalized the names of parishioners who helped build the temple of their funds.

The most ancient fragments of the walls of the building, Dating from the beginning of the IV century, can be seen from the outside. In 1242 the building was damaged during one of the many fires of the time. Later it was repeatedly rebuilt. The upper Windows of the main nave was designed in typical early Christian manner, and side Windows in the Gothic style.

With the V century the area in front of the Cathedral was adorned with a monument in the shape of a cross, but in 1885 it was demolished. At the beginning of the XVI century was rebuilt the facade, he found a late-Renaissance appearance. The bell tower, which today flaunts in front of the Cathedral, was built in the late XVII century (1671-1707). It was built using the stone slabs from the Amphitheater.

On the site of a small Park, located East of the Cathedral, once stood the Church of the Holy Forms, one of the patrons of the Pools. The Church was built in the V century and was considered a part of the Church complex. Similar ensembles in Istria were not a rarity. Unfortunately, the Church was destroyed in the middle ages and then were not recovered.