/ / The split city Museum

The split city Museum

Photos and description

The split city Museum was established in 1946. It is located in the North-Eastern part of Diocletian's Palace in the complex of medieval buildings in the centre of which is a family Museum Papalic. Family Papalic settled in split in the early 14th century. It was one of the most respected families of the city. They built for the accommodation of his family a small Palace. In this room, and is now split City Museum.

The basis of the exhibition materials of the Museum were drawn from the collection of sculpture and monuments D. Papalia brought from the surrounding area Salons. In subsequent years, the collection is constantly replenished by paintings and works of art, as well as fragments of sculptures, monuments and statues that had once been parts of buildings in the city of split. Along with works of art, the Museum presents a variety of documents, maps, photographs, and manuscripts that help visitors to learn more about the history of the city of split.

The Museum is surrounded by lovely, well kept courtyard with a richly decorated loggia. On the first floor of the Museum is the hall with a luxurious four-, and two single Windows and a well preserved wooden ceiling.

The Museum presents a permanent exhibition that relates to the period when Split was an Autonomous city commune (12-14 centuries.). Among the exhibits can be identified such as the Charter, seal, coins, Romanesque sculpture from the belfry of the Cathedral. The Museum is open Armory with exhibits of the period 15-18 centuries.