/ / Dvigrad

Dvigrad

Photos and description

Dvigrad is one of the oldest walled cities in Croatia, located not far from town Kanfanar. Dvigrad located in the valley of Draga. Lim fjord, which crosses over the gorge is a natural border between the regions of Porec and Pula.

Dvigrad known since ancient times. The gorge in which lies the town, once held the most important trade route in Istria. At the beginning of its existence, the town consisted of two settlements. But at the moment is preserved only one of them (Dvigrad). And settlement Parentin, which was on the South of the gorge, completely destroyed.

Since the Roman Empire Dvigrad was considered part of the province of Istria, and its location was advantageous from an economic point of view. In those days, the town prospered, but after the collapse of the Roman Empire Dvigrad also lost its importance. And later, because of ravaged the land of epidemics was almost completely destroyed.

In VI-VII centuries the lands of Istria again began to settle different nationalities - Slovenes and Croats. But only in the middle Ages, Benedictine monks have mastered these lands and brought them into order. In the XI century on the territory of the city was laid fortress, from the XIV century due to constant wars with the Venetian Republic, the fortress was subjected to frequent sieges. The city fell in 1413. Venice appointed its ruler. Dvigrad had to pay annually for 390 pounds.

From 1544 to the end of the XVI century this area was in constant collision between Austria and Venice. After the termination of these wars Dvigrad became subject to attacks by pirates uschakov (defectors from the Slavic lands), but to capture the city completely failed. In 1650 an Italian Bishop Tommasini found in Degrade just a few families and a strong desolation. Later, in 1714, Dvigrad finally became a “dead city,” because even the Basilica. Sofia was left, dried up wells, the city was overgrown with weeds.

In our days preserved city gates and the line of the fortification wall, and the once huge watchtower. The Basilica was completely destroyed in the XIX century, but the ruins of some city buildings. Well-preserved main gate Dvigrad. Inside the fortress remained only ruins of buildings.