/ / The Town Of RAB

The Town Of RAB

Photos and description

The town of RAB located on the Croatian island of the same name. Like many other settlements in this region, it has a rich history. Numerous local archaeological finds belong to the stone age, the Neolithic, copper and bronze eyelids and say about the stay here even in prehistoric times. Illyrian tribes settled the area in the third century BC. Over the next nine centuries, a Slave was part of the Roman Empire, at that time it was growing rapidly. Under the name of RAB town is mentioned in documents only in the 15th century.

The modern city stands on the same place where it was pre-Roman settlement of Illyrians. The Romans had clear principles of construction: at the heart of the city lie three longitudinal streets with a number of transverse stairs. To this day, the cityscape is not preserved, it was established in the late middle Ages. The symbol of a Slave were three of the bell tower of the 12th century and one of the later Baroque.

In RAB are many architectural monuments belonging to different epochs. The ruins of Fort STS. Cosmas and Damian is located on a hillside in Barbate. Researchers for a long time could not agree in opinion on the question of the Dating of this object. Recently recognized as the ruins of a early Byzantine fortress from the first half of the 6th century. The Central building of the Fort Church, which was only part of the Northern and southern walls.

St. Peter's Church was built in the second half of the 11th century. She is the only surviving part of the Benedictine Abbey, which was abolished in 1467. Basilica in Romanesque style is almost completely preserved, while all the monastic buildings were destroyed. The bell tower of the Church is the oldest in Dalmatia bell cast in 1290 by a monk from Venice, Luke.

The Franciscan monastery of SV. Euphemia was first mentioned in documents from the 13th century. The monastery is typical of Franciscan architecture form that blends perfectly with the surrounding landscape. Church. Euphemia was built as a simple single-nave building, but later rebuilt several times. The altar of the Church is decorated with works by famous Venetian artists - the brothers Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini, created in 1458. The monastery has a rich library that holds the stock more than seven thousand volumes from the 15th century to the present day. Also it houses a collection of valuable paintings, manuscripts, parchments, monastic documents, and also ancient coins.