/ / The archaeological Museum of Istria

The archaeological Museum of Istria

Photos and description

The archaeological Museum of Istria is located close to the arch of the Sergii in Pula. The city Museum and the Museum of antiquities was established here in 1902. Education museums started with collections of stone sculptures as well as ceramic and metallic objects. After that, the Pool was moved to the collection of the Society of archeology and local history of Istria poreč. The city Museum has a new collection and because of the expansion of the Fund of the Museum needed new space. In 1930, he gets it, and the doors of the Museum open to visitors.

The Museum was located on the Eastern edge of the settlement of prehistoric settlements in the Roman pole of the colony. After the war, when the time came for the Anglo-American administration, the collection was partially evacuated to Italy. Only in 1961 removed the exhibits managed to return thanks to systematic work and sincere efforts of the Museum staff.

In 1973, after a long restoration was opened the exhibition hall on the first floor, there are collections devoted to the ancient and antique history. Exhibitions devoted to late antiquity and the middle ages, located on the second floor of the Museum.

In the Museum are objects found during archaeological excavations in Istria. Studied prehistoric caves, ruins of necropolises, ancient cities, buildings and cemeteries, as well as early Christian and Byzantine buildings. The permanent collection of the Museum consists of exhibits showing the development of the material culture of Istria from the Paleolithic/Neolithic and the bronze age to the Roman Empire, late antiquity, early middle ages and the feudal period. It exhibits a variety of exhibits: the collection of glass, ceramics, metal products, portraits, decorative sculptures, building materials, jewelry, clothing, etc.

The Museum consists of several departments: Department of archeology, Department of documents, Department of education and restoration, as well as the library. In addition to the main building of the Museum has an amphitheatre, and under his tutelage is the temple of Augustus and the Franciscan monastery in Nesactium.