/ / Tower in Kastel Kambelovac

Tower in Kastel Kambelovac

Photos and description

City of Kastela consists of seven once independent villages that have emerged around the castles of the Croatian nobility. One of such villages - Kastel Kambelovac is located between the districts of Kastel Luksic and Kastel of Gomilica. Unlike other villages in Kastel Kambelovac is not formed around the summer house, and near several FORTS built in the XV-XVI centuries. Towns near the walls of the fortification structures gradually expanded and eventually merged into one.

Kambelovac was named in honor of the family Kambi and their Fort of cylindrical shape. In 1478 split Prince Andrew Gregorio was awarded two brothers Jerolim and Nicolas Cambi, noblemen from split, a small plot of land, located on the coast of the Adriatic sea. They built a Fort, which was to serve the residents of the villages Lazani and Krusevik protection from the Ottomans.

From Fort Kambi, which consisted of several circular towers, built in 1566, and from the castle in the Western part of the village Kambelovac before our time has survived only one tower. The locals call it in honor of the ruined Fort tower Kambi. This three-story building with maticulate on the roof. Previously, the tower, whose outer diameter is 5.7 meters, was surrounded by a stone wall with a mounted brick battlements.

Next to the tower Cambi is a well-preserved house with its Renaissance balcony. From the former fortifications of the town survived and the bastions and half-ruined Palace Cambi West Kambelovac.

Tower Cambi became a hallmark of the district Kastel Kambelovac.