/ / Ludbreg

Ludbreg

Photos and description

Ludbreg is a small Croatian town, located in the North, Varaždin County. The total number of inhabitants at the beginning of the twenty-first century was nearly 3.5 thousand people in the city and almost 9 thousand, if you count the community center in Ludbreg. Ludbreg is the Northern slopes of the hills of Kalnik, near the river Bednja, very close to the place where it flows into the Drava. West of Ludbreg is situated in Varazdin, and in the South-East of Koprivnica.

The first mention about the city appeared in 1320, when he had a different name - Castrum Ludbreg. In the XVI century the castle was repeatedly attacked by the Turkish army, but in spite of everything, she survived.

It is worth mentioning another fact from the history of this Croatian town, and it was the beginning of the XV century appeared the legend about "Ludvigson miracle." Thanks to him we can safely say that the history of the city and its main attraction are inextricably linked. According to legend, during Church services parish priest doubted the reality of transubstantiation, and the wine, which was filled with liturgical chalice, turned into genuine blood. After that, a frightened priest was asked to fix an unusual bowl directly into the wall of the temple, however, word of this spread throughout all of the surrounding area, the pilgrims began to visit Ludbreg. The relic was transported to Rome, but she kept only a small period, since after the recognition of the authenticity of the miracle by Pope Leo XII in 1513, the Cup moved back to Ludbreg. From the moment the relic was kept in the parish Church of SV. Trinity (built in 1410), but in 1721 von Rosenfels of the Augsburg goldsmith, put the bowl in a richly decorated reliquary.

By a decision of the Croatian Parliament in 1739 in honor of the miracle was ordered to build a new Church. All the works were completed only several centuries later, in 1993, residents and visitors Ludbregu were able to witness the chapel of SV. The Blood Of Christ.

Ludbregu perfectly preserved Batthyany Palace that once belonged to the aristocratic family of Hungary. Today, the Palace is a restoration workshop.

As for interesting events, annually in the first month of autumn in the city attracts pilgrims from all over the world to visit the "Holy week", dedicated to the Eucharistic miracle.