/ / Gate SV. Flora

Gate SV. Flora

Photos and description

By the end of the XIX century Labin was a small town located on a hill and fully walled. These walls were built in the XVI century, and the first wall of Labin, was built by the Celts. In the XV century the wall was along the palaces of Louis Manzini and Negri on the street Giuseppina Martinuzzi to the main gate into the city, which were on the Old Try (before 1438), and further to Oskockij gate.

Walls, enclosing the town of Labin on the East side, appeared on the site of the old fencing in the nineteenth century. They were built in parts, with breaks, so the work was delayed for 40 years. City walls adjacent to the main gate of the city. From 1589 such gates are considered to be the Baroque gate of St. Flora. They got their name in honor of the Gothic chapel of St. Flora, located right above the gate.

Over the entrance is placed the symbol of the Venetian Republic, the winged lion holding an open book. According to legend, an open book in the paws of a lion means that the city surrendered to Venice without a fight and struggle. If the lion was depicted with a closed book to the city to fight for their freedom, and the Venetians made an effort to take it.

Over the gate, next to the inscription is in Latin, you can see the medieval Labin coat of arms - a red cross on a silver field.

After the city gate of St. Flora was closed for the night, they were guarded by two guards. From 1599 up to 60-ies of the last century between the gate and the current store "Sanfior" was a small passage that is now almost not visible. On the right side of the gate of St. Flora you can see a mosaic, a former official coat of arms of Labin. It was made in the memory of the Labin Republic, declared after the local uprising of the miners in 1921.