/ / The Fortress Of Varazdin

The Fortress Of Varazdin

Photos and description

Varaždin castle is one of the architectural monuments of the city, which is a model of defensive architecture. At the time, Varaždin castle was one of the strongholds in the fight against Turkish intervention. Here was the residence of Croatian-Slavonic military district. It is a powerful strategic and military-political significance was attached to the castle until the seventeenth century, when a military station was moved to Koprivnica.

By the end of the sixteenth century Varaždin castle changed more than one owner. In 1397, the castle belonged to Herman II of Celje, who received the building from the Hungarian-Croatian king Sigismund II. After some time Herman also went to the region of Zagorje and čakovec. From 1585 and until 1925 the owners of the building was the family Ended. By the way, the dynasty held one of the highest state posts in Varaždin until 1845.

In the early XX century the castle is located the exposition of the city Museum.

It is known that the oldest part of the castle is its tower in the Gothic style, and there is also information about that in the XV century it had Palisades, and surrounded the construction of the trench. Presumably, the East tower and the fortified wall was built around 1524.

Serious changes waited for a lock in the middle of the XVI century, when Gothic buildings, he became the epitome of the Renaissance style. Reconstruction was begun in 1544 by Baron Ivan Ungnad, at that time owner of the castle. The work was carried out by one of the famous Italian architects. The castle was surrounded by a moat with water from the Drava, and around it grew the earth embankment. Was also made the loopholes and special platform for the use of heavy artillery, and a square tower in the late Gothic style was enriched with another floor. The castle has also been added a lot of architectural details inherent in the early Renaissance: the stone buttresses in the form of Doric columns, wood and stone balustrades, balconies, arcades and painted facades. Reconstruction of the castle was completed by 1575.

In 1705, the castle underwent another renovation, during which a bridge was built between the North wall and a square tower, which allowed to divide the courtyard into two halves. Until 1933 the castle was surrounded by trenches, and the first green plantings were planted in 1938. But the real Park, which can be seen today, was set up only in 1952.