/ / The old town of Turja

The old town of Turja

Photos and description

The centre of Osijek can be divided into three districts: the Upper town, built over the river Drava in the nineteenth century; the Lower town is a quiet and peaceful area where mostly settled immigrants arriving for permanent residence in Osijek; the Old part of Tvrdja, the title of which Croatian is translated as "Fortress". This part of the historic center is the oldest. She appeared on the site of the Roman settlement. Currently, from the Upper town it is separated by approximately two kilometers. The Fortress can be reached by tram or walk on the European prospect.

In 1526-1687 years of Osijek was ruled by the Ottoman Empire. The Turks did not significantly changed the appearance of the medieval city, only built a few mosques and built a bridge of Suleiman. Also on the site of ancient settlement of the Romans they built a Fort. The Baroque Fortress was rebuilt by the Austrians, who in the late XVII century expelled the Ottomans from Osijek. Local Tvrdja is considered the most well-preserved in the Croatian historical Baroque centre.

Fortress in Osijek has long been outside the sphere of interests of tourists arriving here. Now the situation is gradually corrected, and travelers are discovering neighborhoods, where an atmosphere of past centuries.

Osijek fortress is a few streets centred around the Plaza Svetog-Trojstva and built up with buildings, intended for military and administrative purposes. North district restricts the Drava river, with the other parties - extensive city parks. To the survived part of the walls of the Fort and the Water gate. Most of the local monuments dated from the eighteenth century.

In the center of the square Svetog-Trojstva stands the Plague column, built in 1729 as a gratitude to God for deliverance from the plague. The square shape of the building ocher shade, which previously served as the offices for the Austrian officials. Now these buildings were converted into classrooms. Here is the historical Museum of Slavonia. In the neighboring streets you can see two churches - the Church of St Michael and the Franciscan Church.