/ / Castle Dubovac

Castle Dubovac

Photos and description

Castle Dubovac is one of the oldest architectural monuments in Karlovac. It is known for its rich history and is sort of the Keeper of the collective historical memory of the Croatian people. In 1896, Dubova was opened Museum of municipal ownership, the authorities have made it available for citizens.

The last reconstruction of the castle was carried out in 1961, including at the initiative of the Croatian Institute of management. Greta of Juric, who took over his premises. And from 1965 to 2007 the castle was given to the City Museum and all its facilities were housed exhibitions on the history of the city. Even in an observation tower was opened the exhibition “On the Compartment and the Koran.”

Castle Dubovac got its name in honor of former oak forests, which he from ancient times was surrounded. Interestingly, the castle Dubovac much older than the city of Karlovac. When the city began to build, Dubovac for a long time towered over the Coop.

For the reconstruction of the castle in the XX century was a very important record of military engineers from Cray, made in 1777. In these documents describes the structure of a castle and the materials used in the construction. Also there described a corner tower, two-storey tower.

In 1997 was conducted by archaeological research, which showed how interesting the history of settlements that were in the area in the late bronze age and early iron.

In the middle ages Dubovac developed as a village with a Fort, located at the intersection of the most important of his time rivers and roads. The first mention of the town occurs in 1339, when Dubovac comes the priest. There is also a mention of trading and commercial enterprises as well as the devastating Turkish invasion of 1578. This invasion almost emptied Dubovac, the refugees found shelter on the territory of the quick settlement of Karlovac. From their city only preserved castle.

These lands have always been considered strategically important, as suitable for trading. The owners of them at different times was an aristocratic family: Sugar (1387-1426), Frankopan (1442 - 1550) and Zrinski (1550-1578), then the castle went to the army command in Karlovac (1678-1810).