/ / Archaeological Museum Osijek

Archaeological Museum Osijek

Photos and description

Archaeological Museum of Osijek was founded in 1877 and was called the Museum free Royal city of Osijek. The Museum was founded on the initiative and donations (the numismatic collection, collection of ancient weapons, and literature) of the merchant Franjo Selakovich. In 1878, the first curator of the Museum was appointed Andrei Kodrik. In the first decades of existence, the Museum funds were filled solely through donations from wealthy and notable citizens of Osijek, among them was Franjo Selakovic, Carl Naber, Josip Juraj Strossmayer, Emerick Hildy and Dr. Carl Colic. This collection was and remains the largest donation in the history of the Museum.

One of the famous workers Museum was Vekoslav Celestin - curator of the Museum in 1893. He worked at the Museum for nearly 43 years, was a diligent worker and professional. This confirms the fact that he is known in museums in Croatia and abroad. He made almost all the work: worried about the completion and registration of Museum collections, carried out a systematic inspection of records, starting with the archaeological site and ending with the ethnographic materials. For his work Celestina is considered one of the founders of the Museum. By the end of the tenure of a curator in 1933, he founded the Club and archaeological society "Moores" (in 1937 it was renamed the Society of friends of antiquities "Moores"), which was an important contribution to the work of the Museum.

Museum throughout its history, very often changed its location. And since 1946, and to this day he is in the citadel of Osijek - a former city Duma.

During the war the Museum was severely damaged, but fortunately, the entire collection has remained almost untouched. The worst damage of the collection was deposited by rain and improper storage. The permanent exhibition was removed to a safe place. But during the constant shelling, the work of the Museum was suspended. In 1994 the Museum was given the status of national institutions.