/ / The Museum of folk arts and crafts

The Museum of folk arts and crafts

Photos and description

The Museum of folk arts and crafts in Zagreb, was founded in 1880-ies on the initiative of the Society of Arts. The Museum became one of the first institutions of its kind in Europe. In 1882 the Museum was created school of crafts, which today is School of applied art and design. The project of the Museum building was designed by architect Herman Bolle in the spirit of the German Renaissance.

The beginning of the Museum Fund was started several years before the official opening by Bishop Strossmayer. Donations Isidora Krchnavy at the Paris auction in 1875, purchased the collection of the Catalan artist and collector, Mariana Fortune. From the 1880s, this collection is enriched not only in Croatia, but throughout Europe. Much of the Museum Fund were received from private collectors.

In the first years the Museum was housed in a rented building on the street valéria (currently street of Prague). In the current building, the Museum moved in 1909, at the same time was opened and a permanent display. In 1919 the Museum was opened the Museum of modern art. Later, the Zagreb Museum of folk arts and crafts separated the Ethnographic Museum.

From 1933 to 1952, the Museum was under the leadership of Director Vladimir Tkalich. This period was created a new exhibition, consisting of photographs, graphics, printed products. When the Museum was founded and restoration workshop. Since the 1950s, the Museum actively organizes exhibitions.

After the collapse of Yugoslavia and the hostilities of this period, the Museum opened in 1995 after reconstruction and restoration of the building. Today the Museum is about 100 thousand objects of fine and applied art dated 14-21 centuries. The library of the Museum more than 65 thousand books on arts and crafts.