/ / Church Of The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary

Church Of The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary

Photos and description

At the mouth of the river Dobracina into the sea, a nobleman Nikola Frankopan in 1412, restored and expanded the old building of the Church, standing here from the XIV century. Church of the assumption of the blessed virgin Mary acquired Gothic features. From the name of the Church the town of Crikvenica got its name. Frankopan also restored the Abbey, belonging to Paulina. Later, in the XVII century, the Church was rebuilt in Baroque style. The monastery complex, which since 1987 had been converted into a hotel, is a corner cylindrical tower (the castle) and enclosed courtyard with water tank and a massive bell tower adjacent to the Church.

A dominant place in the interior of the white Church of the assumption of the blessed virgin Mary is the main Baroque altar carved in the XVIII century and decorated with statues of saints. Two side altars dedicated to St. Helen and St. Nicholas, performed the carvers and sculptors of the monastic brotherhood of the Pauline. Their names are written on the reverse side of the great tabernacle that is installed on the main altar. In particular, there is the name of Paul REDLA who made this item. Under the domed canopy where you can also see the valuable icon, which depicts the virgin with the Baby. It was written in the XV century.

Cause admiration and wooden statues of St. Anthony and St. Paul the Hermit, Dating back to the seventeenth century. Kept in the Church and the old way Saint-Simon. This is all that remains of the parish Church of saints Simon and Jude Thaddeus in the village of Kotor, which was destroyed by fire in the XVIII century. The village of Kotor is located on a hill above Cirkvenica.