/ / Lepoglava

Lepoglava

Photos and description

The town of Lepoglava at all times been regarded as the cradle of science, art and culture. It was first mentioned in 1399, and a year later Herman of Celje was founded the famous monastery of St. Paul. In 1582 the monastery was opened the first state high school in Croatia. In 1656 begins the study of philosophy and theology, and later, in 1674, the school gets the status of a higher educational institution.

By the decree of Joseph II in 1786, the University was disbanded, and teachers expelled from the city. Culture and scientific life of the city slowly disappearing. In 1854, the University was converted into a prison.

Proximity Lepoglava will be interesting to look at St. Mary's Church. Its construction began in the 1400s with the arrival of scientists-monks. During the Turkish invasions the Church was repeatedly destroyed and then restored. The last large-scale reconstruction of the Church took place in the XVII century, now it has a Gothic Baroque Church. The interior of the Church includes carved wooden furniture, altars, and frescoes in the Baroque style. The Church organ was created by the famous master Pavel Ivanovich in 1737, and later restored by Ivan Aniccam from Celje.

Chapel of St. Ivan of Gorica was built in the XVII century, it was later reconstructed in the Baroque style and consecrated in honor of St. John. The walls of the chapel decorated with paintings by renowned artist Ivan Ranzher. Another chapel, painted by brush, is the chapel of St. George, built in 1749. This work of Ranzher recognized as a masterpiece. The center of the painting is the image of St. George piercing the dragon with his spear. Other frescoes of Ranzher at St George's chapel inspired by the images of Greek mythology, goddess Flora and the festival of life - motives, not typical for the time of Ranzher. According to legend, in the chapel the artist wanted to be buried.