/ / St. Stephen's Cathedral

St. Stephen's Cathedral

Photos and description

St. Stephen's Cathedral is located on the historical square of St. Stephen in Hvar. This Cathedral is an architectural monument of Dalmatian Renaissance.

In the VI century on this place was built the first Christian Basilica belonged to the Benedictine monastery. The present appearance of the building is received, improvement and restoration lasted for several centuries (from the XVI to XVII centuries).

Bell tower of the Cathedral began in 1520, and completed the construction in the middle of the XVI century. The authors of the bell tower - master from Croatia, Nicola and Marco Garlic (originally from korčula). The interior of the Cathedral is shaped in the eighteenth century, it traced the features of the Baroque style. The altar of the Cathedral and of the chapel made by masters from Venice.

To the Cathedral adjoins the Palace of the Bishop. The Palace now a Museum with a rich collection of ecclesiastical items, Dating from the middle ages. There are also preserved items of jewelry, old documents and books, the vestments for the Liturgy, paintings by old masters, etc.

In St. Stephen's Cathedral is preserved the sculpture of the "Flagellation of Christ" by famous Maestro Yuri Dalmatian. This sculpture is a copy of a stone relief in the altar of the Cathedral of Split.