/ / National Museum of Labin

National Museum of Labin

Photos and description

National Museum of Labin was established by the National community Committee of the city in 1960. It is located in a Baroque Palace built at the turn of XVII-XVIII centuries, the Last large-scale reconstruction of the building was conducted in the period from 1982 to 1994, was restored the old premises and began construction of new premises for the Museum collections.

On the ground floor there is a hall, where the objects discovered in these lands at different times. Basically, there are sculptures of the Roman emperors Philip the Younger, Marcus Aurelius and others. These archaeological finds are of great historical importance, because they are a sign that the area of Labin in the middle of the III century ad was part Roman municipality. Also in this hall is represented amphorae of Greco-Roman origin discovered in the waters of the river Rabac in 1986.

Further, there are halls devoted to the history of Labin in the twentieth century, special attention is paid to the military period (the history of the partisan movement), as well as the history of industrial development in the city. The second floor of the Museum is dedicated to the exposition dedicated to the life and culture of the inhabitants of Labin.

A big plus of the Museum is that the exhibits presented here are in four languages (Croatian, Italian, English and German). In addition, all floors of the Museum has a sound system that conveys a story about the history and tradition of Labin.

In the gallery devoted to the fine arts, hosted the works of the most brilliant artists of the twentieth century Labin. The latter is remembered by many the exhibition was dedicated to the work of young authors and is organised in collaboration with galleries of Rovinj, Pula and Piran.

One of the halls of the Museum is dedicated to the exposition dedicated to the famous Croatian theologian, thinker and writer the Illyrian Flacius Matthias (1520-1575). Here are archival materials (writings and documents). A particularly valuable exhibit is the portrait of the scientist-theologian, made his contemporary, the painter Eugene Kokot, as well as geographical map of Istria, Dating from 1520.

In one of the rooms of the Museum is a reconstruction of a fragment of a coal mine with underground corridors-tunnels. Wearing miner's helmets, Museum visitors pass through one of these corridors with a guide.

In addition to the opportunity to learn more about Labin and Croatia, Museum visitors can become participants of educational and cultural programs that are held here.