/ / Summer residence of the poreč bishops

Summer residence of the poreč bishops

Photos and description

The summer residence of the poreč bishops were most often described as a deserted castle, which in principle can be called the most accurate definition of the attractions of Vrsar.

The building was built in the period from the XII to the XIII century and is a monumental Palace building, located very close to the parish Church. Martin. Originally this place was built a modest Palace designed in the Romanesque style. After some time the structure has undergone significant changes: the walls were strengthened and enlarged the total area.

The architecture of the Palace that we see today, preserved features of different styles ranging from Romanesque to Baroque. In the southern part of the building are two towers (one of which presumably served as a prison), which had previously been under surveillance.

In the Palace there is an impressive number of rooms, which could accommodate not only the owners but the servants and guests. The first floor was occupied by the press, which squeezed oil, ovens, water tanks, stables and warehouses for the products. By the way, all food was grown in the Episcopal possessions in the vicinity of the city.

When poreč was overtaken by the plague or military action, the bishops tried to move to the time in Vrsar. For example, when I was raised a riot in 1299, the Bishop Bonifatius tried as soon as possible to leave the city and find refuge in the Palace. Some bishops castle actually became a permanent place of residence. In addition, there were buried Ruggiero .. and Gianbattista de Giudice.

After the abolition of the right to property in 1778 porechskoe bishops, the Palace was transferred to the possession of the Venetian Republic. After almost two centuries of monumental building became the property of the family of Patricia Vergottini.

In the XX century the Palace began slowly but surely to collapse today, it requires a speedy restoration.